Zed Online for Android

Enter your comments and questions about the Android release of Commander Zod here.

Moderator: Brad

DaMarkov
Major
Major
Are you a spam bot?: No

Zed Online for Android

Post by DaMarkov » 2020-04-24, 18:33

Since there haven't been a lot of post in this forum I wanted to showcase what I did the last few days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYDbUwu9qhQ

So far I ported only a few percent of the code. Anyone has any ideas what kind of controls would be good on a tablet?
I am thinking of 2 fingers for zoom (via pinch gesture) and scrolling. And one finger the circle units to select them.
Has anyone thought about this or knows an RTS game that has good controls on a tablet?
XStrategy
Major
Major

Re: Zed Online for Android

Post by XStrategy » 2020-05-02, 00:22

I have played Z on tablet (the terrible port that they released few years ago, you know what i mean) and it was terrible, almost unplayable. So not sure what to suggest, I am big fan of PC gaming (maybe too old school lol). I remember they changed interface there but selecting units was a pain, moving camera was pain, it was just terrible. Just check what they did to see "what not to do" for android :D
Z and only Z1
DaMarkov
Major
Major
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Zed Online for Android

Post by DaMarkov » 2020-06-20, 19:52

XStrategy wrote:
2020-05-02, 00:22
I have played Z on tablet (the terrible port that they released few years ago, you know what i mean) and it was terrible, almost unplayable. So not sure what to suggest, I am big fan of PC gaming (maybe too old school lol). I remember they changed interface there but selecting units was a pain, moving camera was pain, it was just terrible. Just check what they did to see "what not to do" for android :D
I did some experiments and came to the conclusion: 3 fingers for zoom, 2 fingers for panning/scrolling. 1 finger for selection and 1 finger to draw some shape for unit selection.
Turns out one needs to do a lot of fine-tuning to make it work. Users can draw very weird shapes and calculating the interior of a complex shape is not trivial.