ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post here about the Z remake "Zed Online" by DaMarkov

Moderator: Brad

DaMarkov
Major
Major
Posts: 182
Joined: 2018-12-20, 16:17
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-07-06, 09:16

Janey wrote:
2019-07-03, 02:22
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-07-03, 02:11
Janey wrote:
2019-07-02, 08:26
I appear unable to download version 0.2 properly, as it fails extracting each time.
Please use version 0.1.6 for the time being from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/zedonl ... /releases/

Version 0.2 is currently in Beta and unstable. I am also not sure why the Beta build is on this website and the more stable version 0.1.6 is gone ...
Version 0.2 should be ready in a week or so.
I've been attempting to use version 0.1.6, but it either freezes when I try to host a game or the friend I'm trying to play with instantly crashes when he joins me.
Thanks for the info! Will be fixed in the next version!!
DaMarkov
Major
Major
Posts: 182
Joined: 2018-12-20, 16:17
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-07-06, 20:59

Janey wrote:
2019-07-03, 02:22
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-07-03, 02:11
Janey wrote:
2019-07-02, 08:26
I appear unable to download version 0.2 properly, as it fails extracting each time.
Please use version 0.1.6 for the time being from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/zedonl ... /releases/

Version 0.2 is currently in Beta and unstable. I am also not sure why the Beta build is on this website and the more stable version 0.1.6 is gone ...
Version 0.2 should be ready in a week or so.
I've been attempting to use version 0.1.6, but it either freezes when I try to host a game or the friend I'm trying to play with instantly crashes when he joins me.
Could you try again with the newly released version?
I have tested local Multiplayer with two laptop connected via wifi and it worked fine.
User avatar
Zod
Admin General
Admin General
Posts: 171
Joined: 2005-06-23, 21:21
Are you a spam bot?: No
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by Zod » 2019-07-07, 07:17

You can also get the new release 0.2.0 here:
https://zzone.lewe.com/zed-online-game/
city slicker
Pyro
Pyro
Posts: 29
Joined: 2014-07-20, 19:33
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by city slicker » 2019-07-07, 21:19

nice update!
i have 2 issues.
1) i cant get past level 34... will try again though (thats not really an issue, just my frustration echoeing...)
2) in z95 when i press the a button it auto select all units on screen. any equivalent on your version?
keep up the fantastic job!!!!!!
DaMarkov
Major
Major
Posts: 182
Joined: 2018-12-20, 16:17
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-07-08, 06:32

city slicker wrote:
2019-07-07, 21:19
nice update!
i have 2 issues.
1) i cant get past level 34... will try again though (thats not really an issue, just my frustration echoeing...)
Yeah, the last 3 maps 33, 34, 35 are actually quite hard. Took me a few tries as well.
city slicker wrote:
2019-07-07, 21:19
2) in z95 when i press the a button it auto select all units on screen. any equivalent on your version?
keep up the fantastic job!!!!!!
Great idea! I suggest Ctrl+A as the default for selecting all robots+vehicles.
Or should we have different hotkeys for robots & vehicles?
city slicker
Pyro
Pyro
Posts: 29
Joined: 2014-07-20, 19:33
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by city slicker » 2019-07-08, 13:43

i feel im in a place where they treat me as a king. more champagne? different key for vehicle/robots?
you gonna spoil me!!!!!!
but seriously idk if theres a need for different robots/vehicle auto select all, but if its easy to make why not? maybe it will come in handy at some point. but all select button is needed!
ps i finished 34. took me 20 min. in those 20 min i heard '''youre gonna lose'' and ''youre crap'' many times but i did it!!!!
DaMarkov
Major
Major
Posts: 182
Joined: 2018-12-20, 16:17
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-07-08, 14:07

city slicker wrote:
2019-07-08, 13:43
i feel im in a place where they treat me as a king. more champagne? different key for vehicle/robots?
you gonna spoil me!!!!!!
but seriously idk if theres a need for different robots/vehicle auto select all, but if its easy to make why not? maybe it will come in handy at some point. but all select button is needed!
ps i finished 34. took me 20 min. in those 20 min i heard '''youre gonna lose'' and ''youre crap'' many times but i did it!!!!
Awesome!! Sounds like a fantastic replay to watch :-)
The hardest thing about more hotkeys is actually is to find space in the options menu ^^ apart from that it can be done in about 30m.
So I think one hotkey for selecting all units would be good. And there are also the R, V buttons at the bottom left. So reading your message I got an idea.
In the original Z DOS one could use theses buttons to select a random robots, vehicle, cannon.
I think a better way is: when a unit is idle the button becomes active and when clicking the button the unit gets selected.
That seems more useful to me.

EDIT: Finished my test. So, next version Ctrl+A to select all units.
B and G buttons behave as before. R and V only become active when a robot/vehicle is idle (i.e. not moving). By pressing the button the idle unit is selected and the camera focuses on the unit.
I like this very much since you can always see when a unit becomes idle (since the button then becomes active).
@city slicker what do you think about a hotkey that selects a unit that is idle, but does nothing when there is no idle unit?
city slicker
Pyro
Pyro
Posts: 29
Joined: 2014-07-20, 19:33
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by city slicker » 2019-07-08, 21:46

you love this game even more than me. cheers!
about the hotkey is a great idea. ofcourse you set a line of defence and you dont need this defence to move, so an afterthought on your great idea, and i hope not so difficult to get done, is that this hotkey select only the units that you miss selecting when produced and are still outside their factory. i dont know if you agree but for my style of play i rarely forget units somewhere in the middle. but i miss some new units because i play with small tanks so some left behind when the product button is on screen. but if you are playing with a different strategy and forget some units in the middle how can you separate them from the idle units guarding a flag? one idea could be this button only select units that are alone somewhere but still only one unit many times guard a flag... another idea could be that this button only select units that are in an area surrounded only by friendly or neutral areas, idk... some instand thoughts here, but im sure it would take hours to get done just to see if they are any good... still even without adding nothing the button that select only idle units is a great improvement!!!!!
i have to add that in original z when you press i think enter the camera goes to your fort which is pretty handy.
ps speaking of idle units, remember the 2 units (brad and allan i think) that were sunbathing in chairs and when you selected them thet dissappear? i dont remember if it was a unit that remained idle for very long or something else but it was fun!
DaMarkov
Major
Major
Posts: 182
Joined: 2018-12-20, 16:17
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-07-09, 01:33

city slicker wrote:
2019-07-08, 21:46
you love this game even more than me. cheers!
about the hotkey is a great idea. ofcourse you set a line of defence and you dont need this defence to move, so an afterthought on your great idea, and i hope not so difficult to get done, is that this hotkey select only the units that you miss selecting when produced and are still outside their factory. i dont know if you agree but for my style of play i rarely forget units somewhere in the middle. but i miss some new units because i play with small tanks so some left behind when the product button is on screen. but if you are playing with a different strategy and forget some units in the middle how can you separate them from the idle units guarding a flag? one idea could be this button only select units that are alone somewhere but still only one unit many times guard a flag... another idea could be that this button only select units that are in an area surrounded only by friendly or neutral areas, idk... some instand thoughts here, but im sure it would take hours to get done just to see if they are any good... still even without adding nothing the button that select only idle units is a great improvement!!!!!
i have to add that in original z when you press i think enter the camera goes to your fort which is pretty handy.
ps speaking of idle units, remember the 2 units (brad and allan i think) that were sunbathing in chairs and when you selected them thet dissappear? i dont remember if it was a unit that remained idle for very long or something else but it was fun!
For units left outside of a factory we already have a solution: rally points. When a factory is selected you can right click somewhere (or ALT+left click in classic controls) to set a rallypoint. Every new produced unit will move to that point after being constructed.

Writing an algorithm that differentiates between defending and idle units is really difficult. I would make it so that the button first selects the idle unit that is the closest to the cursor, that way he user has some control-

The Home key on the keyboard could be a good default for moving the camera to the fort. But is a key like that really necessary?
By the way, the game engine also allows a player to have multiple forts, just something to keep in mind.

brad and allan appeared always close to the fort after some time. If one clicked on them they disappeared. I guess one could say it was sort of an easter egg.
Could be included in the future, but I am more keen to included the celebration animation. Robots used to celebrate in Z DOS after winning a battle.
city slicker
Pyro
Pyro
Posts: 29
Joined: 2014-07-20, 19:33
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by city slicker » 2019-07-09, 02:16

rally point, multiple forts, zoom in!!!!!
wow, very nice! so then yes, nearest idle unit is a good idea. fort key is very usefull because if you are far away from fort with a button you are there asap. very quick travel to this side of the map. its also usefull with z95 because you can go to fort, then press right click and youre back to last unit selected! ofcourse you can do that with map travel when its ready.
ive been meanning to ask. what about land animals and alligators? especially aligators are a vital part of the game but i havent noticed when i cross water to end up with less robots so if you havent please do!
btw rally point is gonna shake things up big time! its a double edged sword for this game cause stealing a territory few seconds before it produce a unit is an everyday thing so its easier without any units there. but its a good thing too so we have to be very selective with that!!!! with multiple forts fe 2 when an enemy takes the fort it becomes his or it just explodes? i dont know which i like best, maybe it could be an option for chossing. and if an enemy destroys not your last fort by entering (if thats the case) or by shoot at it the fort auto heals like other factories? and i thought i didnt have anything more to add 10 posts ago...
DaMarkov
Major
Major
Posts: 182
Joined: 2018-12-20, 16:17
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-07-09, 02:58

city slicker wrote:
2019-07-09, 02:16
rally point, multiple forts, zoom in!!!!!
wow, very nice! so then yes, nearest idle unit is a good idea. fort key is very usefull because if you are far away from fort with a button you are there asap. very quick travel to this side of the map. its also usefull with z95 because you can go to fort, then press right click and youre back to last unit selected! ofcourse you can do that with map travel when its ready.
ive been meanning to ask. what about land animals and alligators? especially aligators are a vital part of the game but i havent noticed when i cross water to end up with less robots so if you havent please do!
btw rally point is gonna shake things up big time! its a double edged sword for this game cause stealing a territory few seconds before it produce a unit is an everyday thing so its easier without any units there. but its a good thing too so we have to be very selective with that!!!! with multiple forts fe 2 when an enemy takes the fort it becomes his or it just explodes? i dont know which i like best, maybe it could be an option for chossing. and if an enemy destroys not your last fort by entering (if thats the case) or by shoot at it the fort auto heals like other factories? and i thought i didnt have anything more to add 10 posts ago...
in the zod engine a player loses when he has zero forts. A fort always explodes after entering, so it can not be conquered in any way.
That being said, I actually have never created a map with multiple forts for a player and tested everything.
Aligators are a good point! I wonder how it worked in Z Dos. Like how many aligators are there for each lake or if the animals have to set manually in the level editor.

A lot of thing still to do ...
For the next weeks I will focus more on online play, it seems I have neglected that too much.
DaMarkov
Major
Major
Posts: 182
Joined: 2018-12-20, 16:17
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-07-13, 23:12

So, my plan for the next version is to have mostly bugfixes and quality of life improvements.
Apart from that about 80% of the code has now been ported to Linux. A first version of a dedicated server is complete and runs on Windows, Linux and also on ARM architecture.
I plan to work on a server version for the rest of July and then have 1 or 2 servers set up in central EU for everyone to connect to by mid August.
Hope I can then also finish the Linux client by the end of August ...

These dedicated server work similar to the one in the zod engine. Everyone can join and can add bots, change the map etc.
That way no one has to bother to set up port forwarding and firewall.
And then this community would also have a server for weekly deathmatches :-)

EDIT:
So something like this:
https://youtu.be/C9j7GYUNf0w
https://youtu.be/Ww2O5SXA2fM
city slicker
Pyro
Pyro
Posts: 29
Joined: 2014-07-20, 19:33
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by city slicker » 2019-07-15, 00:08

glad to see the effort!
so until next update im not able to play online or i am doing something wrong with my ip and port?
DaMarkov
Major
Major
Posts: 182
Joined: 2018-12-20, 16:17
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-07-15, 18:54

city slicker wrote:
2019-07-15, 00:08
glad to see the effort!
so until next update im not able to play online or i am doing something wrong with my ip and port?
You can already play online, but there are now many people online anyway at the moment.

If you want to play over a network have one player click on "create game"
On a local network the other player might see the came and can click on the game entry and click "join game".
If that doesn't work you can click on "direct connection" to connect directly by entering the IP and port number of the game server.
When playing over the internet the port of the game server needs to be forwarded. The game will try to do this automatically, but might fail.

I highly recommend to open the game twice on the same computer just for testing.
You can enter the IP address 127.0.0.1 to connect to your own computer. Port should always be 8000. If the game can not open port 8000 it will try the next ports (8001, 8002, etc).

EDIT:
You can also try to connect to my test server at the moment (might be running 30% of the time) by choosing the "direct connect" option.
IP: [s]zed-online.spdns.eu[/s] sorry, forogt the is a problem with hostnames in 0.2, write me on Slack and I will give you the current IP, or do "nslookup zed-online.spdns.eu" in the Windows console
Port: 8005
if it's not running, write me on Slack. Currently, the server is quite unstable, so it crashes after a few matches ...
DaMarkov
Major
Major
Posts: 182
Joined: 2018-12-20, 16:17
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-07-17, 23:52

As some people have already seen I have setup some "public test servers".
I will try to keep one running all the time and use another one for development.

You can all join and abuse the servers as much as you want. They are designed to be played with v0.2.1 but are quite compatible.
After joining the server you have to type in commands to do anything. Here is a list of the most important commands:

/start starts the game. Important: This commands starts the match for ALL players, ready or not! If your are on a 4 player map and no one else is connected, the server doesn't care it will start the game immediately.
Also note you can not "late join". If you have not joined the server before the match started, you might not get to play.

/addbot this command adds a single bot
/addbots this command adds bots until all slots are full
/killbots kills all bots
/killall kills a players & bots
/nextmap NAME NAME must be something like 2_desert_1, 4_desert_2, 3_jungle_1, etc. See the filenames in the map folder. This determines what map is loaded next. If no next map is set the server will choose one randomly.

Another limitation with v0.2 after the end of a match the client disconnects, so you will have to reconnect. (also give the server some time, the server loads the next map 15s after the end of the previous match, you don't want to connect "in between matches").

And most importantly: I you crash the server: tell me on Slack how you did it!
Post Reply