Post here about the Z remake "Zed Online" by DaMarkov

Moderator: Brad

APC
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by APC » 2020-04-22, 19:53

Hi XStrategy.

2) There is possibility to slow-down the ZED Online in the main menu. For the purpose of decreased difficulty.

3) Pixelatet graphic - use the "direct" resolution mode and you will have the game exactly like the Nigh Freak's Zod Engine.

4) You can set preferred default units for initial factories and captured neutral factories in the settings.

5) Waypoints from factories works in ZED Online and also in ZOD Engine.

6) Produced robots are stuck together and easy target. Thats true and in Z_DOS it was better. The only option as for now is to give them 2 seconds of peace and only then send them into combat.

9) Repeated voice too often - I agree with you.

10) Bots surrender - should be optional in settings; I agree with you.

11) I agree with your "sniping ability should be increased".

12) Veterans - you are the first person who believes me there were veterans with green, silver and gold star in original Z and the gold ones were much better in avoiding shots and accurate. Problem was - promoting veteran by selecting all units on the map and clicking to enemy squad. Your nearest unit destroyed the target but all your selected units were promoted. It was problem in Z_DOS.

Howitzers - they need to be protected. It is nice you recognized the Medium Tank is now the perfect counter to single howitzer. Howitzers have great range. They are the only real defence agaisnt MRLs (the second is your own MRL). I agree it is different like in Z_DOS, but howitzers are great value in ZED Online and ZOD Engine.
Mobile Rocket Launchers (MLRs) are ultimate unit. I can devastate 10 your squads by micromanaged MRL in Zod Engine. In ZED Online the units engage into combat more automatically and don't wish to withdraw so it would be possible to kill MRL using 3 units.
XStrategy
Major
Major

Post by XStrategy » 2020-04-22, 21:34

Hi XStrategy.
2) There is possibility to slow-down the ZED Online in the main menu. For the purpose of decreased difficulty.
3) Pixelatet graphic - use the "direct" resolution mode and you will have the game exactly like the Nigh Freak's Zod Engine.
4) You can set preferred default units for initial factories and captured neutral factories in the settings.
5) Waypoints from factories works in ZED Online and also in ZOD Engine.
6) Produced robots are stuck together and easy target. Thats true and in Z_DOS it was better. The only option as for now is to give them 2 seconds of peace and only then send them into combat.
9) Repeated voice too often - I agree with you.
10) Bots surrender - should be optional in settings; I agree with you.
11) I agree with your "sniping ability should be increased".
12) Veterans - you are the first person who believes me there were veterans with green, silver and gold star in original Z and the gold ones were much better in avoiding shots and accurate. Problem was - promoting veteran by selecting all units on the map and clicking to enemy squad. Your nearest unit destroyed the target but all your selected units were promoted. It was problem in Z_DOS.
Howitzers - they need to be protected. It is nice you recognized the Medium Tank is now the perfect counter to single howitzer. Howitzers have great range. They are the only real defence agaisnt MRLs (the second is your own MRL). I agree it is different like in Z_DOS, but howitzers are great value in ZED Online and ZOD Engine.
Mobile Rocket Launchers (MLRs) are ultimate unit. I can devastate 10 your squads by micromanaged MRL in Zod Engine. In ZED Online the units engage into combat more automatically and don't wish to withdraw so it would be possible to kill MRL using 3 units.
Thank you for detailed response.. i have read all 20 pages and you made so many great tips here.

2. The speed is not an issue for me, I LOVE fast speeds... i am an old time Z veteran, i started to play back when i was 13 in 1996 lol.. The issue is that AI is now much better than in old Z and it has more tanks. For example I cant pass level 6 now because for some reason the blue guys have more tanks than me and produce faster than me.. what a shame lol.. But I completed old Z and Z95 probably 10 times. and even Z Engline by Freaknigh also.. here at level 6 i see opponents just have more tanks and nothing i can do. Before i even start the game the women voice starts saying "you are crap" lol :shake: But I love how AI is much better in this game compared to brainless AI of old Z.. It can actually defend and attack in groups not just attacking with single units like in the past..
3. Yes it seems solved the issue thanks
4. What "settings"? I see in Options menu there is no such feature..
5. Sorry but how to set the rally point of the factory? What you press and when to set them?
12 - yes we need veterans.. Of course I believe you and i remember it was a great feature.

P.S. The feature that tanks are auto capturing flags is a great addition to the game, thank you. Did you see balance updates ideas?
Z and only Z1
APC
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by APC » 2020-04-23, 08:04

Actually I consider the BOT's AI in ZOD and ZED quite poor. Every unit just choose some interesting nearest target and thats all. Coordinated attacks appear only by accident. Absolutely none coordinated defence. In gameplay against humans it is completely different and the BOTs are easy prey and source of factories.

4) Options -> Set default units
5) just click factory and then clict to the map where you wish to move. In ZED you should use "Startcraft" system of controls. I am not sure if new features are made also for Z_DOS controls.

12) I can survive also witout veterans. Repaired tank in 4 seconds is nice reward also without veteran status.

Balance updates - as for me I got used to nighfreaks ZOD units balance. I played Z_DOS arount 2000 a lot of hours but I don't remember details in balance. Because of low resolution it was completely different gameplay. Now I am focused on strategy much more, because I see almost whole battlefield on my screen. Almost don't use minimap (unthinkable in old Z_DOS fighting there without minimap).
APC
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by APC » 2020-04-24, 10:51

BTW in NighFreaks ZOD Engine there is TXT file with units stats which is accessible and easily moddable for your SP games and LAN games. There you can easily test impact of major parts of your suggestions.
Also in ZED Onlline there is viable possibility to edit unit stats for local purposes. I just don't remember exact sequence there, but have somewhere DaMarkov's post how to make it easy.
XStrategy
Major
Major

Post by XStrategy » 2020-04-24, 16:38

Thanks for the tips. As for "Set default units" - i suggest there to add "Set default APC crew so we can put TOUGH or PYRO not grunt as inside"
Z and only Z1
SteelGhost
Sergeant
Sergeant
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by SteelGhost » 2020-06-10, 11:56

For Christ's sake, do something!
DaMarkov
Major
Major
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by DaMarkov » 2020-06-21, 02:39

XStrategy wrote:
2020-04-20, 00:34
2. are there any difficulty settings? I only saw speed settings. Maybe i am rusty but the game feels really hard now as it became much faster... robots killing robots with grenades? now we are talking! that was fun.
Not really so far. After the initial 35 single player maps the difficulty of the bots increases. I also added a command /hardmode in online mode, buts mainly for testing purposes so far.
XStrategy wrote:
3. is there smooth / antialiasing now ? it seems very pixelated to what i rememebr in old z engine mods and z95..
Added option for bilinear texture filtering and post processing in 0.3. See also assets/shaders if someone wants to create their own postprocessing shader.
XStrategy wrote:
4. is there a way to put default to produce psycos and light tank istead of jeep/grants? seems with the game being so fast now the primary units become completely useless and changing production takes too much time.
See Options -> default units. In v0.3 the options menu is more organized. A lot of people didn't find the right options.
XStrategy wrote:
5. do you plan to add some new-generation ideas like "set rally point for production factories" etc ?
Rally-points and multiple waypoints is already supported. In classic control style its ALT+Left click otherwise right click.
XStrategy wrote:
2020-04-20, 11:43
6. important issue - robots sometimes are stuck together (the leader and minions) often move as one. it's not just bad because it's hard to understand how many robots we have but also they are killed with 1 shot by tanks /guns which is bad.
Fixed in 0.3 for robots (tanks can still get stuck on buildings/bridges but not permanently stuck)
XStrategy wrote:
7. for main menu - i suggest to improve the look so that it will attract new players better. you can use our fan art if you want, for examplehttp://game-era.com/images/zod_render_Ss.jpgmore here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=736&sid=31a837de2a8 ... 24d2a19a1f
Redid background and options menu in 0.3
XStrategy wrote:
9. many times i hear same voice repeated (like territory taken keeps repeating in loop)
This might happen in team deathmatch mode when two units stand "on the flag". Not really sure how I should fix that ...
XStrategy wrote:
10. bots surrender? i dont like the idea. let us kill the fort, it's a part of the pleasure to finish the bots.
I will make it optional. One can disable this via Lua with allowSurrender(false) at least

XStrategy wrote:
12. veterans. like in Z dos make the veteran units manuver better (and shot more accurately)
additionally - auto heal for veteran units after certain time. (i saw that in other games)
In Lua:

Code: Select all

function onObjectDeath(obj, killerObj)
obj is the object that got killed. killerObj is the object that committed the kill.
XStrategy wrote:
20. feature suggestion - in higher levels make low-level units (grants/psyco) produced WITH grenades set in hand. this will at least make them little more useful, else nothing needed just pyro and the game becomes too binary. It's just medium tank + pyro endless production and all other units seem useless with such balance. Howitzer completely useless , it cant even kill medium tank consistently but is very expensive..
Great idea! I added Lua code for that.
In map editor -> view -> show Lua code add:

Code: Select all

function onObjectCreated(obj)--This function is called when a new object is created (after the map got loaded)
  if getType(obj) == ROBOT then--If obj is a robot
    if getSubtype(obj) == GRUNT or getSubtype(obj) == PSYCHO then--If its a grunt or psycho
       setGrenadeAmount(obj, 20)--Give the object 20 grenades
    end
  end
end
This will give every grunt and psycho 20 grenades after it has been built. The code does not apply to starting units.

XStrategy wrote:
2. when my ally passes my fort the music and sound plays annoying "your fort is under attack".
Fixed in v0.3. Thanks for noticing!
XStrategy wrote:
3. the "you are toasted", "you are crap" women voice is too repetative, almost every 10 second.. should be like every minute like in original z else it's annoying.
Wow, its *exactly* 10s. I added 7 sound files when one is winning, should give a little more diversity for now.
KOHAGEN
Sniper
Sniper

Post by KOHAGEN » 2020-06-25, 19:56

In version 0.3, creating a new user account broke down!