Place all issues about the sequel game "Z:Steel Soldiers" here

Moderator: Brad

RavenTS
Major
Major

Really that bad

Post by RavenTS » 2006-10-14, 22:16

Hallu,

just installed Z SteelSoldiers und played some minutes of the first time...and after all things I read about it...I was a bit surprised. Sure its something other then the original game, but I dont think its that bad. Just more like a typcial rts-game, but probably not that bad as many people here think...
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-10-19, 01:07

Already finished the desert missions...still thinking its a game worth playing for alle real Z fans...
jirka
Tough
Tough

Post by jirka » 2006-10-20, 13:48

yea, I can confirm that the game isn't that bad actually... as it is still a long way to go before the Z XP version gets out, we could try to play ZSS over the internet a little bit - what do you think?
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-10-20, 16:16

jirka wrote:yea, I can confirm that the game isn't that bad actually... as it is still a long way to go before the Z XP version gets out, we could try to play ZSS over the internet a little bit - what do you think?
Well, Im short in time at the moment and just installed SS to have a look on it, as everybody talks so bad about that game. By the way: Where are you from, time could be a difficulty too..!
jirka
Tough
Tough

Post by jirka » 2006-10-21, 11:42

I live in Switzerland. If your location is still up to date we would even be in the same timezone - this would increase the chance of findig an appropriate time considerably.

As I am still studying I could generally join a battle on (almost) each evening... it is up to you to find a suitable day if you really want me to polish up your steel butt !
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-10-21, 12:36

jirka wrote:I live in Switzerland. If your location is still up to date we would even be in the same timezone - this would increase the chance of findig an appropriate time considerably.

As I am still studying I could generally join a battle on (almost) each evening... it is up to you to find a suitable day if you really want me to polish up your steel butt !
No I dont want you to do that and Yes I still live here, in "your timezone". I will remember you one day of this topic when Im more in the game, expect it in one or two months, near the end of the year..!
SpaceOne
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SpaceOne » 2006-10-21, 13:20

Hey guys, could you give me some useful keyboard shortcuts for this game? I only know for f9 to change map view.
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-10-21, 14:43

What about a look into you manual. There you can read more about things like (O-key - select all units on screen, X-key - ungroup units,...etc). I myself own a budget-version where the manual is a pdf-file on the main-directory...
jirka
Tough
Tough

Post by jirka » 2006-10-22, 01:39

oh my god,... as it seems I really have to take a look at it too before I go to battle. The last time I played it was about 2 years ago; I played it with a friend against some computer players and it was quite some fun.

And let me assure you: you don't have to be anxious - It could easily turn out the way that you let me down as well; I invented the thing about the polishing just to frighten my adversaries :D

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible...
Dharion
Tough
Tough

Re: Really that bad

Post by Dharion » 2008-01-25, 13:57

They should've stick to the old Z-style. No 3D rubbish like SS...
I also like C&C: CO and Red Alert 1, I hate Generals, Renegade etc...

But on the other way I like 1st and 3rd person shooters in 3D...
Only not RTS games...
XStrategy
Major
Major

Post by XStrategy » 2008-01-26, 19:19

Dharion, there are great number of good RTS in 3d: Warhammer 4000: Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, upcoming Starcraft 2 etc.
I would say good gameplay makes the game interesting. Z1 had this perfect gameplay, but Z:SS not. Anyway Z:SS was a nice game. I finished all levels in 2001 but never replayed it. I still prefer Z1.
Z and only Z1
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2008-01-26, 22:40

XStrategy wrote:Dharion, there are great number of good RTS in 3d: Warhammer 4000: Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, upcoming Starcraft 2 etc.
I would say good gameplay makes the game interesting. Z1 had this perfect gameplay, but Z:SS not. Anyway Z:SS was a nice game. I finished all levels in 2001 but never replayed it. I still prefer Z1.
I agree with you and want to point at another 3d-rts: WarCraft 3. Although its 3D it looks and feels like a "classic" 2d-game except the new options of the 3d-engine...
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2008-01-27, 03:52

3D, in my opinion, is just icing on the cake. If the game is bad, you'll never play it no matter how good it looks. And in fact, I think Z:SS looks worse than Z; everything is much duller and quite blurred, many things are low on polys and look boxy, etc. Z had a much more orderly interface with the sharp 2d graphics the Bitmap Bros are famous for.

But the worst mistake they made in Z:SS must be that you had to build buildings, imo. That took away evry bit of gameplay originality and strategy depth of the original.
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ravey » 2008-01-27, 11:16

I thought Z:SS was ok, the unit limit was a little annoying though. What I would've liked would have been a mix between the Warzone 2100 engine and the style of Z. As much as I like Warzone - The sound is bad, the graphics look uninspired and the music should be better and dynamic. I think the Warzone Resurrection source code would probably be a great foundation for a Z mod...
uraui
Sniper
Sniper

Post by uraui » 2008-02-07, 20:15

RavenTS wrote:Hallu,

just installed Z SteelSoldiers und played some minutes of the first time...and after all things I read about it...I was a bit surprised. Sure its something other then the original game, but I dont think its that bad. Just more like a typcial rts-game, but probably not that bad as many people here think...

Man what stuff are you on, i really can use stuff like that.

You must be as high as god himself.

Steel soldiers did not suckass, it suckedshit.